Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Simple Watermelon Salad

Summer cook outs drive me nuts.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love being invited to cookouts, food, sun, fun...what's the problem?  I NEVER know what to contribute!  I get nervous when I cook for people, because not everyone has the same tastes.  I'm a great cook, but when it comes to contributing to pot-lucks, cookouts, etc, I totally turn into Susan from desperate housewives.  It's nerve-wracking.  

Then my mom started making this watermelon salad...so I stole the recipe, simplified it EVEN further, and it is my go-to from now on.  Everyone loves it and I can throw it together, even while the dog is barking, the kids are fighting, my father is falling, and chaos is breaking out (this happens regularly it seems).  But the salad is so easy that there's almost no way to mess it up.



I got it down to 4 ingredients:

  1. Watermelon
  2. Cucumber
  3. Feta Cheese
  4. Balsamic Vinaigrette (you could make your own, but I often have a bottle of organic vinaigrette in the fridge so I just use that)
Cube the watermelon and cucumber.  Prior to cubing the cucumber I like to peel strips to make it look "pretty," but totally optional.  You can leave the skin on or peel it all, whichever is most appealing to you.
Put them in a bowl.  Feel free to play with the ratios of ingredients.  It's pretty hard to go wrong, but you may find that you like it better one way or another.  The size of the cubes can also vary.  (For me it was varying on how lazy I was and how many cuts I felt like making, but I find now that I kind of enjoy the cubes bigger anyway.)

Throw some feta cheese on top.

Pour a bit of vinaigrette on.  You don't need a lot because there are a lot of juices in the salad already and also because it can sort of overpower the watermelon.  But the juxtaposition of the acid and sugar makes for an amazing flavor combination.

Voila!  Done!  Seriously. Super. Simple.





No comments:

Post a Comment